Friday, April 24, 2009

I am boring










I am tired of being a mom all the time. Moms are boring. Dad's have all the fun.
I used to be a lot of fun. I had food fights with my children while making cookies, I ran through the sprinklers, I jumped on the bed and ate raw cookie dough. I sat on the roof and drank hot chocolate and watched the stars with the kids. I invented a holiday if one wasn't happening when I wanted.
But then something happened.
All those years of being Responsible, of getting the chores done, and changing diapers, and paying bills, and reminding my husband to pick up his socks, and making nutritious meals, and in between trying to squeeze in my own interests...well they all descended on me at once. I Responsibled myself right out of the fun zone.

The other day my children looked at me and said "Mom you're boring." Just like that. My response was to lecture them about my responsibilities and how hard I worked to take care of them. "I'm doing the job of both parents." I told them.
And that of course is when I realized that I wasn't. I am only doing the job of mom. And children need both.

They need someone to make sure that they eat right, do their homework, have good table manners, and get to be don time. But they also need someone to have fun with, someone they can say anything to without getting corrected. Someone they can just Be with.

So I have launched Project Weekend Dad. Starting Friday after school I will no longer be plain old Mom.
I will be something new and different and exciting...I will be Dad!!!
Wish me luck.



10 signs you are a boring mom

1.
Going to the bathroom by yourself is a vacation.
2. You hide in the closet to eat cookies.
3. You have never heard of W.O.W.
4. You spend your weekends doing peace talks.
5.
You have germX in your purse
6. You say "I told you so" even though you swore you never would
7. If you roll on the ground or spit you are given a prescription.
8. You think girls dress like sluts and boys dress like slobs these days.
9. You have a calendar/whiteboard/bullentin board to organize your family.
10.Your children think you are boring.


10 signs that you are a dad

1.
You think nutritious is eating something straight out of the package.
2. You share your cookies.
3. You can change clothes, work, and eat dinner in front of the tv.
4. You don't believe you have to brush your teeth before bed.
5. You not only know what W.O.W is, you have an online account.
6. You use words like dude without cringing.
7. You like fart jokes.
8. You say "because I told you so" and get results.
9. If you roll on the ground or spit you are considered cool.
10.
Your children think you are exciting.







No comments: