Saturday, May 9, 2009

LESSON ELEVEN




Objective

Just Say Yes




Example


Maybe I'm wrong, but "Yes" seems to be the territory of fathers. Sure dads have to get heavy handed when it comes to boyfriends and dents in the fenders and stuff...and that whole "Just wait until your father gets home " thing...but after the storm has passed there's a whole lot of yessin' going on.


Moms have to say no all the time...no you can't have ice cream for dinner...no you can't stay up late...no we can't afford that...it's a drag.


I mean like totally.

My mother used to say "Ask me something I can say yes to." But sometimes it just isn't fun to ask for green beans, help with homework, and another turn doing dishes.


So this Saturday I took all the fun money we had (and some of the grocery money too) and headed for town with the tribe.
We went to Walmart where I practiced saying yes...and then to the thrift store where it got easier...and then to the Dollar Store where saying yes was suddenly becoming as addictive as crack.
The kids were panting with the exertion of finding something else I would agree to...they ran wildly up and down the aisles picking out dinosaur puzzles, and bubbles, and plastic guns, and Bakugans, and So-flashy-blinky-fun-to-play-with-all-your-friends-and-happiness Chinese toys....the teenager even talked me into two nose rings...although having her nose pierced is still just a theory.


We finished up the yesfest with Kentucky Fried Chicken (although I owe that particular yes to Oprah..thanks girlfriend..ah hmm...I mean...thanks ma'am.) And then capped off the day with a trip to the park where I went down the big slides including the tunnel slide..because I'm the man you know?


Ice cream for dinner is really good by the way, and so is the relief of just one day without rules.

Moms take note...sometimes when the men in your life tell you you're a drag...you are...really, I should know. Occasionally just agree with them and get your spoon, and kick off your shoes, and just live....it will all still be there in the morning...but your kids, they will be one day older and one day farther out of your reach...and you just don't want to miss it or waste it with too many Nos.

Homework

Practice saying it in a mirror..come on now...say Yes...yes...yes...yesyesyes


Extra Credit


Enjoy it....Yes!

No comments: